Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hasbro X-Wing Red 5

Update!

Here's another piece of work that I finished a few days back. My friend and owner of the Hasbro Millenium Falcon that I did a while back recommended me to his friend who wants to repaint his Hasbro X-Wing. I have worked on the Finemolds version so having a big one like this was going to be another challenge for me. But as we all know, the more we practice, the more experience we get and I for one am truly thankful for an opportunity like this.

Here was how it looked like before I worked on the fella...



As you can see, it looks rather plain despite having the blasts marks and a little bit of weathering. Missing is the markings on the wings to indicate it being Red 5, Luke Skywalker's personal starfighter. And the other markings are all paper decals which to me is not really a good thing.

So after stripping of the decals and cleaning it, primed it accordingly and making sure that I got every nook and cranny of the ship. Once primed, coated it with its base color for a few layers and making sure that its spread even. Putting it out to dry for 2 whole days in the nice hot sun would definitely assure me the paints will stick. Then came the horrifying task of masking it to make the details and markings.



The wing markings. It was tedious but fun...LOL...




When all of it is done, the weathering began! One thing that we always have to remember when doing weathering is that we have to know where to put it and how the ship flows. Once the weathering is done, I applied a very very thin layer of pale gray which was composed of 50% paint and 50% thinner. This is a technique I lovingly call the 'space dust'. Spraying must be done from a length of 30-40 cm. Too close, you will end up covering the markings and weathering and all work is done for nothing...heh...

And here it is...




Some close up shots:






And there you have it. There will be more Star Wars vehicles posted soon, so keep your eyes peeled!