Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dual Model Kit (DMK) Commander Magnus - HTCC Entry

Update!

Here's something that I did a couple of months ago that is way overdue for a posting. Reason? I needed a better camera than the one I was using. Not that the current one wasn't good, but I needed a DSLR that could capture every intricate part of this work of mine.

Okay, so what do I have here, it's a Dual Model Kit Optimus Prime. DMK01 to be more precise. Now the DMK line is produced by TakaraTomy in an effort to get modellers into the Transformers movie hype. They produced 2 characters, DMK01 Optimus and DMK02 Bumblebee.

Now I manage to purchase one (birthday gift from my wife!) but haven't had the time to actually sit down and build it. Until I joined a competition held by Hasbro Malaysia, the Hasbro Transformers Custom Competition. I joined just for the fun of it and we needed to send in some of our previous works, and somehow I was listed as the 10 finalist. Yeehaw!

Being one of the 10 finalist I was able to choose between a DMK01 or 02, so I chose 01. Why? Coz it was Optimus Prime! Nuff said.

We were given the kits by Hasbro, and in roughly two months we were to come up with whatever design that we could think of by using the kit. As I scratched my head, I looked into comics, re-watched my G1 cartoons to find an inspiration...until I realised one thing...

Everybody is bound to be doing Optimus Prime. Heh. And that ladies and gentlemen sparked the idea of making my entry into...Magnus.

After observing the trademarks for Ultra Magnus, which were the head, color and shoulder missile launchers. Scrounged into my spare parts box and found the right parts to make into the launchers and by using some more parts I made the visors for his eyes. Now Magnus head was different and I shaving off Optimus's horns, I slapped on something of my own idea.

Mixed the right tone of blue and some white, I prepared to paint him according to the G1 version. It took me roughly a month in building this guy. His original weapons was suppose to be twin gatling guns on both arms, but then at the last minute I decided to change it and smacked together a bunch of stuff to make his big ass rifle. And...he was done! With some time to spare, I slapped some custom decals I bought for my model car kits. Thinking that if Optimus preferred flames, Magnus was more to the commercial kinda guy...or bot. Heh.

DMK Commander Magnus - HTTC Entry

Main body and head detailing.








Arm detailing.




The leg detailing.





Pose.





City Commander.



I've prepared a 'work in progress' shots of the building of Magnus which can be viewed at RK Design Studios Facebook page at:

'WIP of DMK Commander Magnus'


And there you go folks. After months, I've finally gotten good shots of this guy. So till then...

Sayonara!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Bro you are doing a great job! Love the coloring. Commader Magnus holding a Zeta style weapon, love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. for the love of magnus! Pimp me! :D

    ReplyDelete